How do I Register with the Practice?

Please click here to find out more.

I’m under 18 can I see a doctor or nurse on my own?

You can! We would be pleased to discuss any worries you have about any aspect of your health, in complete confidence. We’re happy to discuss fitness, general health, sexuality, contraception, emergency contraception, smoking, drugs, STIs, diet, relationships and any other worries you have. Appointments can be made via reception.

I am carer for a member of my family can you help me?

Yes. If you are caring for a member of your family because they are elderly or have physical or emotional needs then please let us know. We can give you information on the centres and agencies that are there to help you. We can also provide you with details about local and national services.

Are medical students present during consultations?

We are a University of Oxford teaching practice for medical students and doctors in training. This means that, on occasions, a student will be sitting in during consultations. You will be notified of this and, if you have any objections, it is your privilege to ask that the student be absent during your consultation. However, these are our doctors of the future and work to the confidential code of practice observed by our practice; they need our help to obtain practical skills.

Do you issue medical cards?

New babies and patients registering for the first time (e.g. from overseas) will receive a medical card from Primary Care Services England within a few weeks of registering at the practice. Otherwise, no medical card is issued not even if applied for in writing. Patients can request their NHS number from the practice with proof of identity.

How do I obtain a sickness certificate?

If you have been unwell for more than four days in a row, but less than seven, you can self-certify your illness using a SC2 form. You can obtain this form from your employer or by visiting the HMRC website at the link below.

If you are unwell for more than four days, you are advised to arrange an appointment to see a Doctor to assess your fitness to work.

If your employers insist on certification by a doctor during the first week of illness, this will be in the form of a private note, for which there will be a charge.

Do you provide Non-NHS (private) services?

Yes. We are able to offer non-NHS services to patients, which include:

• Private Sick note
• HGV/Adoption/Pre-employment medicals
• Insurance medicals
• ‘To whom it may concern ‘ letters

However, a charge will be made for these services. Please enquire at reception for details. Note that we do not offer non-NHS travel vaccinations.

I have difficulty getting to the surgery/hospital. Do you provide transport services?

Yes. There are a number of transport services available to patients in the practice area. These services are for patients who have difficulty arranging their own transport to the hospital or doctors surgery.

These transport services are:

Ambulance Transport

To check if you are entitled to this service or for more information please contact:

The Patient Advice and Liaison Office (PALS) on 01865 221473

Wheatley Care:

This is a voluntary service available to people living in Wheatley. They provide pre-bookable transport to the surgery and local hospitals. You can download the leaflet by clicking on the link shown below:

How do I get hold of my test results?

Your doctor will give you details of how to obtain your results once they are back. If there are any problems or abnormalities with your results, your doctor will contact you or suggest you make another appointment. The time taken for us to receive results is normally:

• X-ray / Ultrasound – 10-14 days
• Urine / Stool / Swabs – 3-7 days 
• Routine Bloods – 3-5 days
• Cervical smears – 5-8 weeks

You will always be written to notifying you of the result of your cervical smear test and you will be notified by letter when your next test is due.

What should I do if I want on the spot help when using the Health Service?

PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service)

The NHS expects all members of staff to listen and respond to you to the best of their ability. Sometimes, however, you may wish to talk to someone employed especially to help you. The Patient Advice and Liaison Service, known as PALS, has been introduced to ensure that the NHS listens to patients, their relatives, carers and friends, and answers their questions and resolves their concerns as quickly as possible.

PALS also helps the NHS to improve services by listening to what matters to patients and their loved ones and making changes, when appropriate.

What does PALS do? 

In particular, PALS will:

  • Provide you with information about the NHS and help you with any other health-related enquiry
  • Help resolve concerns or problems when you are using the NHS
  • Provide information about the NHS complaints procedure and how to get independent help if you decide you may want to make a complaint
  • Provide you with information and help introduce you to agencies and support groups outside the NHS
  • Inform you about how you can get more involved in your own healthcare and the NHS locally
  • Improve the NHS by listening to your concerns, suggestions and experiences and ensuring that people who design and manage services are aware of the issues you raise
  • Provide an early warning system for NHS Trusts and monitoring bodies by identifying problems or gaps in services and reporting them

Find out more 

If you would like more information about PALS, the functions it is intended to provide and the standards it should strive to achieve, use the button below.

When is the Reception desk open?

Reception Hours are:

  • Monday 08:00 – 18:30
  • Tuesday 07:30 – 18:30
  • Wednesday 08:00 – 18:30
  • Thursday 08:00 – 18:30
  • Friday 08:00 – 18:30
  • Saturday 08:00 – 10.00 (excluding bank holiday weekends. Note that desk only is open, no telephone calls)